Thursday, August 22, 2013

Lessons from the Restaurant

I have been learning many lessons working at the restaurant.  I am not sure what title to give to this lesson from last night.  Maybe Endurance, patience or if I make a mistake oh well that's life.  As I was doing my devotions this morning this verse popped out to me, 
                              
                      " 3We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they help us develop endurance. 4And endurance develops strength of character, and character strengthens our confident hope of salvation.5And this hope will not lead to disappointment. For we know how dearly God loves us, because he has given us the Holy Spirit to fill our hearts with his love." Romans 5:3-5 NLT                                                    
It was a very slow night so the one other cook left early.  One call came in, this person is a regular and loves to fool around. :) Well, he wanted four seafood dinners all to go.  All of a sudden I was overwhelmed.  You have to understand I do not work well under pressure.  Four seafood dinners was a lot for me to take in.  I am still learning when things need to be put down first so that its all ready at the same time.  I started panicking.  Things were not coming together as it should.  Mike came in and walked me through it.  More than once I was ready to walk out and give in to tears.  To most who read this would laugh because one order would do that to me.  You have to understand I have never worked outside the home (other than a few little things), so this is all new to me and to top it off I have never worked in a restaurant.    I had a choice to make, either I walked out or I stayed and worked through it.  I ended up staying but it helped that Mike talked me through it and encouraged me.  I have to put a plug in, Mike is a wonderful!!  I love him to pieces.:)

Trials or problems (or in my case pressure) in a person's life can either break them or make them stronger.  According to this verse enduring makes us stronger.  Mike keeps saying that to me but I fight it.:)  I want the easy way no pressure.  When we have pressure we can ask God to help us through them or we can take the easy route and run.  But what can we learn from running?   God will give us the strength according to Phil 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ which strengthen me." NLT  If we tried to face the pressure, trials or problems on our own then for some it would lead to us to run.  The verse says that enduring develops strength of character.  I also believe that it takes character to stick it through.:) So I leave this post with, only God can give us what we need to face the challenge.  We can face it on our own and if we did try to do it on our own, we probably will fail and run.  Call on God He is our strength.  Have a bright and beautiful day.  


Sharon :)









No comments: